[Dxspider-support] MRTG

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 23:49:41 CEST 2007

Ian J Maude wrote:
> Hi all,
> Has anyone set up the latest MRTG as yet?  The instructions in the
> manual are now incorrect by the looks of it and I would like to correct
> them and also install MRTG here :)
> Any ideas please?

I have made the vital modification to the mrtg script that makes it work
again. However I notice, in Ubuntu at least, that the packaged mrtg does
not set the permissions on various working directories correctly. This
may all be overrideable in the issued mrtg.conf but I am up against it a
bit I have not looked at that yet.

What I did to get it working, was to (as root):-

mkdir /var/lock/mrtg
chmod 01777 /var/lock/mrtg /var/lib/mrtg

Look at your debug file when you run the 'mrtg' command from the
console. It will tell what the errors are.