[Dxspider-support] Minimal Linux suggestion?

Bela Markus ha5di at freemail.hu
Wed Apr 16 10:07:50 BST 2008

David,

my advice is to use CentOS 5. For those do not know it is a free
distribution which is binary compatible with the Redhat Entripese
system. Stable, supported over a long time, well documented, wide range
of packages available. I'm running several servers in a professional
environment and fount it to be the best choise. Of cource SPIDER runs
smoothly. CentOS is not the best choice for desktop systems as a bit
conservative and not full with the latest toys for stability and
security, but for servers really the Nr#1. WEB site is http://www.centos.org

You can check minimum requirements here:

http://www.centos.org/product.html#five

It shows that you can run the latest CentOS 5 CLI (Command Line) system
with 128Mbyte only. You do not need GUI.

There is an article at DistroWatch about "Choosing a server distribution
for a production e-commerce web site...." It is worth to read:

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080414#news

If you need any help setting it up contact me directly.

One final notice. Look around and add as much RAM to the machines as you
can. 128Mbyte is really low for any systems doesn't matter which distro
is choosen.

Regards... Béla, HA5DI