[Dxspider-support] Grid info passing through nodes?

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Thu Aug 28 15:04:11 BST 2008

Wayne wrote:
> Thanks Kjell, Ian, and Dirk for the information.
> I did not copy over the original Spider tree as this wasn't practical at
> the time.
>
> I guess it was a little disconcerting to see the information appended to
> spots from our neighboring nodes and not seeing that information on our
> node from the same pc11 spot.
>
> For what ever reason, when first starting the cluster and setting
> dxgrid, there seemed to be more grids than after a few days running.
> Just coincidence?
>
> Danny was asking about this also so I hope he's kept up with this thread.
>
> Dirk, is it practical to get a user.asc file from a partner node, and
> rebuilding our information from that? Or is this more trouble than it's
> worth?
>
> Thanks again all for your help....
>
> 73
>
> Wayne WA1PMA  @K7SDX
>

> Dirk Koopman G1TLH wrote:

>> The DXGRID information is built up over time through incoming PC41
>> broadcasts from other nodes. If you have your original spider tree,
>> then taking a recent 'user_asc' file and executing it will rebuild
>> your users file WITH all the historical data in there.

If you still have the c:\spider\data\user_asc file from your windows
box, that would be the ideal thing to use.

It is practical, depending on whether your neighbour's user file is full
of passwords and special privileges or not. If it is just normal (i.e.
an open system with no passwords), then you should:

  * stop the node
  * perl /tmp/user_asc  (or whatever the path to user_asc is)
  * cd /spider/perl
  * ./update_sysop.pl
  * restart the node

Then I would 'grep priv= /tmp/user_asc' and do 'set/priv 1 <call>' (or
set/priv 5 <call>) for every callsign in there (that isn't you or your
node call) that has a higher privilege. This will probably only be the
contributing node call and alias.

Otherwise it gets a bit complicated.