[Dxspider-support] Remote sysop'ing

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat Feb 2 17:49:35 GMT 2008

Jim Snider wrote:
> I'm running the N8OJ node here at my house and I use my iBookrunning
> MacloggerDX to watch the spots and log my operations.  I'm trying to
> understand how to set up the sysop command from my linux box so I can do
> sysop commands down on my iBook from the telnet session.

What is N8OJ running on?

There are basically three ways to do this:-

1. ssh (or otherwise login) to N8OJ and then just continue as normal
(preferred [by me at any rate]). Note that there are perfectly good sshd
implementations for Windows or you could  use an RDP client/VNC as well.

2. If you are on a local network then setup your sysop user with a
password and you should get your sysop privileges retained when you
login - but the password is sent in clear.

3. As two (i.e. set up a password) but logging in over radio, then you
will have to use the 'sysop' command which works like a net/rom node
login. You say sysop, the node returns five numbers, which are indexes
of letters in your password string, you type in sysop <list of
corresponding letters> in the correct order. The "clever" bit is that
you can intersperse those letters with any other letters, it will let
you in if it sees the five letters it asked for in the correct order
somewhere in the string of letters that you return.