[Dxspider-support] Double talks

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 19:51:23 GMT 2008

Steve IK4WMH wrote:
> Hello Dirk,
>
> Saturday, February 2, 2008, 10:19:36 PM, you wrote:
>
> DK> You only get double talks for locally connected users, an incoming
> DK> talk from another node going to a local user will only have one
> DK> logging message.
>
> In my original message I was asking why dxspider now behaves like
> that.
>
> I am always connected but I am often away from the pc, with the SH/T I
> used to check if some friends sent me talks and infos while I was
> away...I was previously able to see the last 20 talks, now I get the
> last 10, each one duplicate.
>
> Dirk, is there a good reason for the latest dxspider versions to act
> that way?

hmmm...

I think so. The sh/log functions (of which sh/talk is one) is supposed
to provide a complete record of stuff that happened. The problem I had
to solve (because of some abuse that was going on at the time) was that
that people were sending inappropriate talks outwards to users on other
nodes. These were not being logged at the originating end.

The consequence being, that for local -> local talks, you get both input
and output, as opposed to local -> remote / vice versa: just one or the
other.

You can always type sh/talk 20 or 100...