[Dxspider-support] [OT] call yourselves homebrewers?

GU6EFB gu6efb at cwgsy.net
Wed Jan 9 20:20:42 GMT 2008

Hi Dirk

Many thanks for the link it brought back many memories.

When it left school my first job was working in a CRT re-gunning plant.

Their we used to take CRT tubes of all sizes and re-gun them this involved
letting the tube down to normal atmospheric pressure them spinning the tube
on a lathe and welding a new length of glass tube on and then installing a
new gun and welding that in.

The tube was then put in a large oven, 3 tubes at a time and heated to 400
degrees C the tubes whilst in the oven were connected to a vacuum and
diffuser pumps to put the vacuum in the tube. The oven would physically grow
25mm, glass can be bruised and occasionally one would implode whilst in the
oven what a mess that used to cause.

When the tube was sealed and had cooled it was placed into a lead-lined box
and up to 80,000 volts were passed through the tube after that the getter
was fired this was done with a water cooled coil and RF if only I had known
that the getter firer used 1KW at 50Mhz I would have had a great 6m amp.

The electron gun was then aged using different voltages then the CRT tested
in a jig and then sent back to the customer.

We used to race each other and could remove a colour CRT tube from the TV
and replace it with an already refurbished tube, set every thing backup in
just under five minuets.

Thanks again

73 Keith GU6EFB