[Dxspider-support] Fedora - newbie warning

hank k8dd k8dd at arrl.net
Wed Jul 16 01:38:23 BST 2008

I echo what Steve said ......
Windows is very easy go get up and running - both RF and telnet.
Linux isn't all that bad - just a different way of thinking!
And not wanting to start a Linux debate, but got my node working
with an old version of SuSe a couple of years ago and it's been
like a Timex ....... keeps on ticking!

73    Hank    K8DD

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Stephen M. Murphy <murphys at comcast.net>
wrote:

> Hi Danny,
>
> From my own experience, I started with the node running under Windows until
> I got comfortable with Linux.   DXSpider runs well under Windows (I was
> using 2000 Pro), but it is much more stable under Linux; it never locks-up,
> dumps, blue screens, or any other such nasty business.
>
> Since then, I've tried several different distributions, and found that I
> like Ubuntu the best.  This is a subjective preference; I've generally found
> it best to stay away from discussions about religion, politics and  Linux
> distributions, hi.
>
> 73,
>
> Steve N8NM
>

> Danny Pease wrote:
>
>> I am a complete novice at both Linux and sysoping a DX node. I am looking
>> at putting a cluster on in west central Illinois. I have a machine that has
>> Fedora 9 already installed. Will DX Spider be any problems using Fedora 9? I
>> also have Redhat Linux 9 installation package, if that would be any better.
>>
>> I really want to learn to use Linux, but would installing under Windows
>> rather than Linux a better option for me?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Danny NG9R
>> dpease at adams.net

'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their
level then beat you with experience.' -anon