[Dxspider-support] Again on Multi-Connect

Rene Olsen rene_olsen at post3.tele.dk
Fri Jul 18 08:53:14 BST 2008

Hi.

On 18 Jul 2008 at 9:05, ON6HH Roland Huysentruyt wrote:

> Hi
> Concerning multiconnect my personal point of view :
> Some ( serieus ) users are connected to 2 nodes for practical reasons (
> logprogramms f.e. )
> "unset/multiconnect" should prevent this .
> Some days ago I was  connected to on0dxk only but sh/st showed my callsign
> also on an other
> node where i not have been for 2 weeks at least.
> In this case with multiconnect blocked i should not have access to my own
> cluster ...

I thought that this would not be possible with the new protocol. But maybe there is some old
software somewhere in the path, so the new protocol does not work as it should. I am sure
that there is still a lot of old dx-spider software running out there.

> It would prefer  a SH/U command  showing for each user all the connected
> nodes .
> Then we know who is misusing the system.
> Or unset/multiconnect  but allowing  a few connections ,number adjustable.
> 73 Roland,ON6HH ,sysop ON0DXK .

I aggree with you that we should be very carefull about making a command that does not
allow anyone to connect to more than one cluster. A command like that can very easily end
up preventing normal users to be able to connect, if they have just briefly visited another
cluster, but for some reason still shows up in the list as being connected there.

What we should rather do, is try to find out who writes software like that. I don't believe for a
second, that any user deliberatly connects to 50+ clusters just because he thinks it could be
fun.

I have no idea however what people who write software like that are thinking. Connecting to
anything more than 2 or maybe 3 clusters is just not needed, and writing any software that
can connect to more clusters than that, should be changed ASAP.

And if a writer of such software does not want to change it, maybe a more aggresive
approach is needed, where the cluster society actively tells people not to use that software.

All in all we need to think this through before a command like set/nomulticonnect is
implemented.

Vy 73 de Rene / OZ1LQH