[Dxspider-support] feature request

Henk hdv hdv1 at kpnplanet.nl
Wed May 14 20:11:57 BST 2008

Dirk,

The dx-cluster is used for spots on HF as well as for VHF and higher.
At the higer frequencies the mode of propagation is of importance to the
dx-hunters.

On those frequencies some are just looking for tropo DX, while others are
active on EME, etc. .
On top of that various programs exist which use a special notation in the
remark-area of a dx message to take the spot into account for calculation of
the propagation. Based on that for instance sporadic-E forecasts for 6m and
2m are made.

However there is no standardisation in this area. So a lot of valuable dx
spots are not used by these programs.
Also with a "sh/dx on 2m" all kinds of propagation are shown, while one
could only be interested in all meteor scatter spots during a ms-shower.

A standardised way of providing the mode of propagation would solve all of
this.

So the question is : could the mode of propagation be added to a dx-spot.

This could be done as:
dx/ms 144365 sm1abc  the /ms indicating meteor scatter.

The following additions could be made :
/tr tropo
/ms meteor scatter
/au aurora
/em eme
/rs rain scatter
/io iono
/te tep

the /xx should be optional, so all would be the same if no propagation is
provided.

In the show command the mode of propagation could be added, so "sh/dx/eme on
2m" would only list the eme spots.

Also propagation calculation programs, like G7RAUs Life MUF, could benefit
substantually from this addition.

Although I am no serious hf operator maybe additions for hf could have value
as well,
like
/lp long path
/gl gray line
etc.

Please let me know what you (and others) think of this idea.

best regards
Henk PA0C