[Dxspider-support] "IO::SOCKET::INET: CONNECT: UNKOWN ERROR

Dave Court EI3IO at connogue.com
Thu Oct 9 19:10:50 BST 2008

I really must thank Larry K2LS for reporting his problem because it has
enabled me to hopefully fix my own problem which appeared about 9 months
ago. Many suggested it was an impossible state of affairs. But it had me
thinking about timing delays, router problems as well as considering a
change of NIC.

My issue was the error message "IO::Socket::INET: connect: Connection
refused" which appeared spasmodically when initiating a SH/DX, other SH
commands, WHO etc.

I think it would be useful to document the problem and cure, which
although likely to be a very rare event, when it happens can cause hours
of head scratching.

Larry gave me the clue by refering to AGW. In my case I changed from
Windows to Linux about 3 years ago. Most files were copied directly
across. Everything worked fine until 9 months ago after one particular
Spider software upgrade.

After reading Larry's email I checked whether the AGWconnect.pm file was
still in the local directory. It was and was still enabled. The deletion
of this file has now cured the problem.

Yes a very rare problem but one that might happen again after a Windows
to Linux conversion, although perhaps the problem might nowadays surface
immediately.

Once again thanks Larry and hope you get everything sorted out your end.

Thanks Dirk for some great software, which is trouble free 99.99% of the
time.

73s Dave EI3IO

Dave Court wrote:
> As reported sometime ago I have a similar problem which happens about
> 70% of the time when I issue any command e.g. SH/DX :
>
> IO::Socket::INET: connect: Connection refused
>
> I know this shouldn't happen but it does. I wonder if there are any
> similarities in the two cases.
>
> 73s Dave
>

> K2LS wrote:
>>

>> I have just developed a problem.
>>
>> Since I did the update to version 155 (build 0.30, then 0.31 on
>> Windows 2000 service pack 4
>> there's some strange things going on.
>>
>> When I do a sh/ver OR A SH/DX  I get an error message
>> "IO::SOCKET::INET: CONNECT: UNKNOWN ERROR
>>
>> This happens locally as well as telnet connections.
>>
>> If I do this a few more times, sometimes I get the error, other times
>> I get the information.
>>
>> Any clue?
>>
>> 73, Larry
>>
>> NODE   DXC.K2LS.COM
>>
>> Spots from North America zones 1 Through 8 ONLY!

>> 270.7.6/1715 - Release Date: 08/10/2008 19:19

This Email comes from Dave Court - EI3IO, G3SDL, OZ3SDL
QTH (Grid) Locator - IO63WF
Web Site: http://EI3IO.com
EI7SDX:SHANDX DX packet cluster web site: http://shandx.ath.cx
Cluster Access telnet://shandx.ath.cx:5000
Node Access telnet://shandx.ath.cx:7400
QSL address: 'Connogue', River Lane, Shankill, Co. Dublin, Ireland

Tel: (EI) +353 1 272 2066 or (GI) +44 28 9099 6474
Skype Username: Connogue or Connport
VoIP: sip: 1996474 at sipgate.co.uk
Professional Web Site: http://connogue.com