[Dxspider-support] Bumpexisting

Mike McCarthy, W1NR lists at w1nr.net
Sun Dec 6 15:42:05 GMT 2009

Dave Edwards wrote:
> Hi
>
> At times here my connection to the internet is intermittent. I don't
> think this will improve as I am a long way from the telephone
> exchange. Often there are blips were connectivity is lost for just a
> few seconds but not normally longer than that.
>
> On my node I have set set/var $main::bumpexisting = 1 so that users
> can reconnect again quickly but I think few others do this. The issue
> I have is that to gain connectivity to my node partners again I have
> to wait for the nodes to realise that I have disconnected before a
> connection can be restored.
>
> Is there a solution for this without me requesting people add
> bumpexisting to their nodes (and moving house is not an option :) )?
> Maybe it is possible to only allow certain addresses to 'bump' I but
> can't find anything in the help for this.
>
> 73
>
> Dave (GB7RAU)

I am pretty certain that Dirk changed the code to not allow nodes to get
bumped. The reason is to prevent denial of service attacks if someone
tries to connect as your node call and bumps your real connection. You
can also take out a node by logging in as the node call.

I would think some sort of crontab scheme that connects you to a backup
link for say 10 minutes and then retries your main connection. Another
would be to have your node partner set an alternate SSID as a spider
node and connect using a different SSID each time, again with a crontab
scheme.

Mike, W1NR