[Dxspider-support] Bumpexisting

Dave Edwards dave at g7rau.co.uk
Sat Dec 12 22:07:14 GMT 2009

Mike McCarthy, W1NR wrote:
> Dave Edwards wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> At times here my connection to the internet is intermittent. I don't
>> think this will improve as I am a long way from the telephone
>> exchange. Often there are blips were connectivity is lost for just a
>> few seconds but not normally longer than that.
>>
>> On my node I have set set/var $main::bumpexisting = 1 so that users
>> can reconnect again quickly but I think few others do this. The issue
>> I have is that to gain connectivity to my node partners again I have
>> to wait for the nodes to realise that I have disconnected before a
>> connection can be restored.
>>
>> Is there a solution for this without me requesting people add
>> bumpexisting to their nodes (and moving house is not an option :) )?
>> Maybe it is possible to only allow certain addresses to 'bump' I but
>> can't find anything in the help for this.
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Dave (GB7RAU)
>>

> I am pretty certain that Dirk changed the code to not allow nodes to get
> bumped. The reason is to prevent denial of service attacks if someone
> tries to connect as your node call and bumps your real connection. You
> can also take out a node by logging in as the node call.
>
> I would think some sort of crontab scheme that connects you to a backup
> link for say 10 minutes and then retries your main connection. Another
> would be to have your node partner set an alternate SSID as a spider
> node and connect using a different SSID each time, again with a crontab
> scheme.
>
> Mike, W1NR

Hi Mike
Many thanks.
Yep, I know the risks but does the bump only happen once the password
has been supplied? If so the I suppose the bump is not an issue if all
are protected through passwords and maybe that is a possibility (any
thoughts Dirk?)?

I will have a think on the SSID method, maybe this will do the job anyway.
73

Dave Edwards (G7RAU)
email:
dave at g7rau.co.uk