[Dxspider-support] Add IP address tp PC16

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:04:41 GMT 2009

Lee

Windows 2000 has some IPv6 support but not by default, it's too old
however there is a 'technology preview' that MS released for Win2k that
adds IPv6 support but since win2k is no longer supported I would suspect
that this has not been updated either, I have heard that it works ok
though.
Microsoft have been supporting (at least on a test basis ) IPv6 since
around 1998
It's been 'release quality' since Windows XP SP1
I am told These days Vista and windows 7 use IPv6 internally in
preference to IPv4 for loop-back type traffic

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/IPv6-Support-Microsoft-Windows.html

To be honest with you my experiences with IPv6 on Windows have been
limited, I am a Linux systems administrator / network engineer. I have
one machine running windows XP (SP4 I think) at home and it just worked,
requiring no configuration at all when I added IPv6 networking to my
lan

Sooner or later all ISP's are going to be offering IPv6, it's simply a
matter of the scarcity of IPv4 addresses. Even in North America where
there is a little more remaining unallocated IPv4 space, and new
customer growth rates are slower, ISP customers will eventually require
access to the IPv6 internet even if their ISP is willing to continue
providing them with a dedicated IPv4 address.

Any protocol designed to be transparent for IPv6 addresses should not
'choke' when presented with truncated addresses. If the protocol is
being transparent about this then this should be a non-issue

See here for an overview of how addresses may be shortened
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/770645.html

but quickly

2001:0DB8:0000:0000:0008:0800:200C:417A
can (and is normally) be represented as
2001:DB8:0:0:8:800:200C:417A
or as
2001:DB8::8:800:200C:417A

The use of '::' indicates one or more groups of 16 bits of zeros. The
'::' can only appear once in an address.  The '::' can also be used to
compress leading or trailing zeros in an address.

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 03:52 -0800, Lee Sawkins wrote:
> Hi Brendan
>
> My program is running under Windows 2000.  I assume if I was using an
> ISP that gave me an IPv6 address that winsock would tell my program what
> this address was, the same as it tells me my IPv4 address.  However, I
> have no way to test it out.  From what I see, my ISP may never give me
> an IPv6 address.  I forward the IP addresses now in a string format, so
> whatever the address, it shouldn't be a problem with transporting it.
>
> Lee
>

> Brendan Minish wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 12:23 +0100, Kjell Jarl wrote:
> >

> > > The idea of attaching the IP address some where in the protocol so it is
> > > available for analysis is _good_!
> >
> > But please lets design this protocol so that it can handle IPv6
> > addresses and please lets ensure that even if a cluster does not right
> > now intend supporting IPv6 that it is capable of passing this IPv6
> > address information along to other nodes without altering it.
> >
> > I am Happy to help with testing this on spider in any way I can.
> >
> > --
> > 73
> > Brendan EI6IZ

73