[Dxspider-support] Running 2 Dxspider nodes on one Windows machine

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Thu Feb 12 13:27:20 GMT 2009

Dan Bookwalter wrote:
> Can I run two spider nodes on one windows box ? if so can someone point me in the right direction ?

Yes you can. Or at least, I think you can, if you can set an environment
variable on the second instance.

If you copy the existing c:\spider tree to (say) c:\spider2, then you
will need to modify c:\spider2\local\DXVars.pm so that it has different
$mycall and $myalias and, very importantly, a different $clusterport (eg
from 27754 to 27755). You will also need to alter
c:\spider\local\Listeners.pm so that it listening on a different port
(eg from 7300 to 7301).

Then you will need to set the environment variable (in a .bat file?)
"set DXSPIDER_ROOT=\spider2", run "c:\spider2\perl\update_sysop.pl"
once, then start the node in the new place. It *should* just work.

Unfortunately Windows does not have symbolic links, so you have to
maintain each tree's code separately (There are tricks one can use to
share the same code tree across many node instances in unix like systems).

Please let me/us know how you get on.