[Dxspider-support] badnode filtering

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 16 21:48:34 GMT 2009

Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Dirk Koopman G1TLH
> <gb7tlh at dxcluster.org> wrote:
>
> > What I am trying to achieve, with this simple filter, is to prevent
> > obviously invalid dx spots being sent around the system. For the absence of
> > any doubt: TO and TX would happily pass through a DXSpider node (as before)
> > with the pirate filter applied. Therefore they would *still* be available to
> > be rejected by more picky software :-)
> >
> > So far, I cannot (for the life of me) see a downside to rejecting spots that
> > DXSpider identifies as invalid. Since nobody else seems to have such a
> > comprehensive list of prefixes (with *your* invaluable help btw), if
> > DXSpider reckons it's a pirate call, then no other package has the data to
> > gainsay that.
> >
> > Of course if you have the full filter (including dx spot calls) it does stop
> > the likes of 1B1AB :-)
> >
> > If DXSpider nodes act as a primary filters for the rubbish coming from the
> > internet, who/what else is likely to do a better job?
> >
> > I am confused.
>
> Hi Dirk,
>
> What I'm trying to suggest is:
>
> 1.  Enumerated bad prefixes/calls added to "country 666" are fine by me.
>     Some of them already are:
>
>     1B,X5,X8,ZC6,10G,50V,Q,0,T0
>
> 2.  Simply rejecting a call out-of-hand because the prefix can't be determined
>     from the country file/table (i.e. those pesky TO/TX calls) is NOT
> OK, as these
>     prefixes/calls may be perfectly valid, but the country file is not
> up-to-date.
>
> - Jim
>
> --
> Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us

Jim, I would like to see at least 1B added to the wl_cty file.  Also
could you not have TO/TX default to France if they can't be found.  I
would rather they be wrong as France than rejected.

Dirk, I am receiving PC41s from Spider with badwords in them.
Especially as names.   Does Spider send PC41, DX and Ann spots to the
backbone that it won't send to users?  I am seeing quite a few bad words
being forwarded to me.

Lee