[Dxspider-support] Ubuntu 9.04 - console.pl

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 10:52:14 BST 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 18:51 +1300, Gordon Stewart wrote:
> Hi Dirk, Ron, and the group,
>
> Seems the latest Distros and Kernels are now compiled with IPv6 as default.

IPv6 is coming and will be a bit more mainstream in the next couple of
years.
Some ISP's already offer IPv6, the driver is the impending scarcity of
IPv4 which will at some stage make it hard (& probably expensive) to
give each of our customers a public IPv4 address
http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html

the alternative to IPv6 will be Carrier grade NAT for IPv4 access. this
WILL be an issue for those wishing to run services such as clusters from
home

I have a dxspider cluster running perfectly, including the console on
IPv6

> Hash out this line in /etc/hosts.
>
> "::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback"

This breaks local loopback in ipv6

Rather than breaking IPv6 local loopback which may have unintended
consequences for other IPv6 aware applications, why not try to get
dxspider running properly on a dual stack (ipv4 /ipv6) ?

It seems to me that if the local console is not working there may be a
number of reasons

the first that springs to mind. do you have an entry in the localhosts
file for ipv4 local loopback in /etc/hosts?

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost

if you do then perhaps the question is, assuming you are not running the
iv6 aware version of the perl modules why did the console not fall back
to the IPv4 loopback, it seems to work ok here.

you can add IPv6 support to dxspider by adding a perl module

in debian / ubuntu (& I presume mint)
get this by
apt-get install libio-socket-inet6-perl

you can also use cpan to install IO::Socket::INET6 to get the same
module if your distro does not have it as a package

and
You need to change the line in Listeners.pm that says:-
     ['0.0.0.0', 7300]
     ['::', 7300],

IF you have IPv6 connectivity you can connect to my cluster (ei7mre) via
ipv6 at
2a01:348:6:26b::2 7300 (DNS records soon I promise!)
or in ipv4
mayodx.ath.cx 7300

For those of you wishing to tinker with IPv6, first check to see if your
ISP is offering it natively (or has a trial program going)

then perhaps take a look at http://www.sixxs.net/
they will give you an IPv6 tunnel for free

If anyone else has an IPv6 connected clsuter then I would be interested
in peering with you

73
Brendan EI6IZ