[Dxspider-support] Weird node issue that prevents user logins

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 16:26:05 BST 2009

Hello Dirk

> Are you using the C client at all?

No, isn't this only used for packet logins these days ?

> In general, this sort of thing is caused by processes spawning other
> processes and then not "wait(2)"ing for them. What would concern me is
> that the program is being waited for is 'cp'.
>
> A 'pstree' command may help you find out which program is spawning these
> jobs.

I forgot all about pstree , Silly me

> DXSpider does not spawn processes "out of the box", certainly not 'cp'
> commands. Although one can get the cron system to do it.

There is a quite a complex set of cron jobs configured on this node so
this where I will have a dig. I copied them across from the original
configuration but did test them all. I guess I need to take a closer
look here

> I would be getting a tad paranoid at this point and wondering whether
> someone has got in through that well known security hole known as 'apache'.

hehe. I am reasonably sure that Apache is not the problem, it's a centos
packaged version and configured to be fairly restrictive but I'll
continue to keep an eye on it. There's always the possibility of a foot
shooting with Apache

--
73
Brendan EI6IZ