[Dxspider-support] Weird node issue that prevents user logins

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Mon Oct 5 16:59:17 BST 2009

Brendan Minish wrote:
>> I would be getting a tad paranoid at this point and wondering whether
>> someone has got in through that well known security hole known as 'apache'.
>
> hehe. I am reasonably sure that Apache is not the problem, it's a centos
> packaged version and configured to be fairly restrictive but I'll
> continue to keep an eye on it. There's always the possibility of a foot
> shooting with Apache

I would not be that sanguine. As far as I am concerned all "standard"
packaged versions of Apache are broken. For a kick off they listen on
port 80 and run (at least partly) as root. But the fact is that the
majority of linux rootings seem to go in through Apache - although I
will concede that there may be PHP in significant parts of that mix.

Although the rate of "fixes" seem to come down over the last year or so,
that does not alter the fact that they still trickle through, pretty
regularly.

It reminds me too much of sendmail, I won't use it.

Dirk G1TLH