[Dxspider-support] Discussion set/register set/password

Luigi Carlotto, IK5ZUK ik5zuk at tiscali.it
Sun Oct 25 14:54:07 GMT 2009

Hi Wolfram, hi all.
I'm totally agree with you, Wolfram.

In order to discourage any improper use, at my cluster I've enabled the
registration (set/var $main::regreq = 1) and for any registered call
I've set (manually) a password. This is the better way, IMHO, because my
node is open for everybody via internet in "passive" mode, and to become
active is needed the registration by the sysop and a password.

It should be nice to share the password database using a new PC protocol
sting, but this solution hasn't an high level security.
Another solution may be to have a remote password database, stored in
one (two or three for redundancy) server reachable via internet, so that
spider can aks/verify to those servers the password for the user's
connection... but in this way if the servers are not reachable, the
cluster network became unopened to any connection.

Another problem to this question, is that today we can see in our
network some spider nodes still running a very old release... and it is
very important that all nodes, with no exceptions, runs a new release
and with the same policy !

Here in Italy we have a Yahoo! group
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/retedxcitalia) in order to coordinate the
  job for all the italian sysops, but I must admit that we have
discussed this problem some times and since today we haven't obtained a
single policy to apply to our cluster nodes, due to diverging
opinions... And we are only a little number in comparison to the total
cluster nodes spreaded across the world !

Dirk, please, could you tell us your opinion ?!?

73 de Luigi, ik5zuk