[Dxspider-support] "Certified" users.

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Sun Apr 4 16:03:00 BST 2010

Chaps

 From time to time, various people come up with reasonable suggestions
for doing something "extra" with callsigns. It may be some kind of
"mark", such as suggested below or changing the range of callsigns that
might be considered "valid".

But *all* of them fall down in the way that Iain gently suggests:
callsigns on ax25 are of fixed format. An ax25 callsign can be a
*maximum* of 6 characters, in the range [0-9A-Z], and *may* have an SSID
of 1-15. That's it. No variation possible. So VK novice stations cannot
be accommodated on ax25, nor calls like PA0/G1TLH and we cannot have
punctuation either.

Until there is general consensus that ax25 is dead and buried, I am
afraid the current restrictions in DXSpider will remain in force.

For the absence of doubt, I have no problem - in principle - with
allowing a larger variation callsigns. But I won't do it unless we can
be certain that *nobody* links via ax25 - thus mangling any callsign
that doesn't fit ax25's restrictions - with all the attendant
looping/dupe problems that that would cause.

Dirk