[Dxspider-support] The question from beginner: dx spider installed but I don't see spots

Mike McCarthy, W1NR lists at w1nr.net
Mon Apr 5 01:24:35 BST 2010

Hmmm...The Wiki appears to be quite deficient in explaining node
connections...

You need a feed. You need a connect script in
/spider/connect/<callsign>. To connect to my node, W1NR, you need the
following file, /spider/connect/w1nr which contains the lines:

timeout 15
abort (Busy|Sorry|Fail)
connect telnet dx.w1nr.net
'login:' '4Z5LZ-2'

Now log in using the console. In a shell it is /spider/perl/console.pl.
Then set the callsign you are going to connect to as a node with the
command "set/spider <callsign>". The other node needs to set your node
callsign in the same way. So, I have set your node callsign, 4Z5LZ-2 as
a spider node. For my node, you need to type "set/spider w1nr" in your
console. Then type "connect w1nr" and you should be connected. You
probably want one or two other feeds as backup. The following is the
/spider/local_cmd/crontab file on my node:

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * start_connect('k1ea') unless (connected('wr3d')
or connected('k1ea'))
2,4,6,8,12,14,16,18,22,24,26,28,32,34,36,38,42,44,46,48,52,54,56,58 * *
* * start_connect('wr3d') unless (connected('k1ea') or connected('wr3d'))
9,19,29,39,49,59 * * * * disconnect('wr3d') if present('k1ea')

You need to change the callsigns for your partners. This script will
auto connect to k1ea and use wr3d as a backup feed should k1ea become
unavailable for any reason. When k1ea returns, it will disconnect wr3d
and reconnect to k1ea.

Each node needs a connection file in /spider/connect. You also need to
edit the default connection at startup in /spider/scripts/startup.

73 de Mike, W1NR