[Dxspider-support] Getting spots into Spider from text file (no telnet)?

VK3AMA vk3ama at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 14:26:37 BST 2010

I have a need to get spots into my Spider Node via data present in a
file. I need a hint (or two) on where to start looking in the Spider
Code. Its been many years since I coded regularly in perl, so am a bit
rusty. If I can get a my mind around the logic and the main scripts used
to post spots, I think I will be closer to a result.

The reason is simple, I have a need to spot to the node from a location,
that has firewall port restrictions, where the only ports open are
standard http, ftp, pop & smtp. No other ports open, so no telnet. I
don't what to mess around with tunnelling.

I can easily ftp a text file to the node. Cron would kick off a (as yet
uncoded) script to look for the file and process any file present to put
a spot on the Cluster.

Any ideas, suggestions, existing solutions (that google didn't find)?

Thanks de Laurie, VK3AMA