[Dxspider-support] ROS Mode

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 16 21:55:46 BST 2010

Is it better to stop some of the abusers or to not do anything and let them
all get away with it?  My system isn't perfect, but it does catch many bad
spots.

My software automatically adds IPs to the bad list.  There is a time to live
for these addresses.  After a while they expire.  Every few days I go
through the list and look at the spots that have been dropped.  Even if a
few spots are dropped in error, there are so many duplicate spots it really
doesn't make much difference.  How many 3C0 spots have you seen?   Do you
really need the one that makes obscene comments about the operators, even if
it gives the correct frequency and call.   Do you need spots that call
others Nazis or killers or terrorists?  Some sysops apparently think these
spots are ok as long as they aren't entered on their cluster.

An abusive user with a dynamic address will have his address added to the
bad IP list, perhaps on the first abusive spot he puts out on any day.  That
first spot will be dropped.  For the next while that address is prevented
from sending out spots.  If he continues to send out bad spots, then his
address will be updated.  In North America many users who have broadband
with dynamic addresses don't see them change for months on end.  The ISP
calls these dynamic.

Some abusers have fixed IPs and have been putting out bogus spots for years.
These spots may not be obscene, but they are dropped.  Some of these are
users are putting out self-spots using hundreds of different calls.  Every
day with different calls.  If the system is full of bogus spots like this,
how can you trust any of them to be valid.  A spot for a UA0 from Florida on
a dead band is very misleading.

Lee