[Dxspider-support] ROS Mode

Ian Maude ian at gb7mbc.net
Wed Jun 16 22:55:28 BST 2010

On 16 June 2010 21:55, Lee Sawkins <ve7cc at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Is it better to stop some of the abusers or to not do anything and let them
> all get away with it?  My system isn't perfect, but it does catch many bad
> spots.

As do others

> My software automatically adds IPs to the bad list.  There is a time to
> live for these addresses.  After a while they expire.  Every few days I go
> through the list and look at the spots that have been dropped.  Even if a
> few spots are dropped in error, there are so many duplicate spots it really
> doesn't make much difference.  How many 3C0 spots have you seen?   Do you
> really need the one that makes obscene comments about the operators, even if
> it gives the correct frequency and call.   Do you need spots that call
> others Nazis or killers or terrorists?  Some sysops apparently think these
> spots are ok as long as they aren't entered on their cluster.

The way forward is registration.  You will not see anything like that from
my clusters.  Do I think they are OK posted on other clusters?  No!
However, using IP addresses to stop the problem is a complete waste of time
and will cause more problems with disgruntled users than it solves.  What we
actually need are sysops who check their systems regularly and don't expect
the software to do it all for them.

> Some abusers have fixed IPs and have been putting out bogus spots for
> years. These spots may not be obscene, but they are dropped.  Some of these
> are users are putting out self-spots using hundreds of different calls.
>  Every day with different calls.  If the system is full of bogus spots like
> this, how can you trust any of them to be valid.  A spot for a UA0 from
> Florida on a dead band is very misleading.

So what are the callsigns involved?  Tell us and we can deal with it very
easily.  It takes seconds to do.  Trying to regulate the cluster with a
stick is not the way forward.  What we need is education.  I try to help my
users and explain to them why correct procedure is important.  If I were to
spot any wrongdoings from either of my clusters I would take a very dim view
indeed of it and would have words with the person involved.  I take my
responsibilities as a sysop very seriously.

In this day and age, simply trying to catch everything with software is a
losing battle.  Look at DXSummit as a prime example.  At least they now have
a login procedure and this has made a huge difference.  We have to make the
effort to protect the system by ensuring the security of our users as much
as possible.  While that only works on our nodes, it is all we can do with
current protocols.  I would go as far as saying that if a user is registered
on a cluster node, that information should be shared securely in some way
with the network to make sure a malicious user could not use anothers login.

73 Ian