[Dxspider-support] VK 4 digit suffixes

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Fri May 28 10:37:34 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 10:04 +0100, Ian Maude wrote:
> However, the fact remains that these are perfectly valid callsigns.
>  Why should they be excluded?

If the 4 digit suffix calls break (other/older) cluster software in some
way when they spot then allowing them on spider nodes with full spotting
rights causes issues for the cluster network as a whole.

A way out of this might be to support spots by these calls between
spider nodes initially, assuming 4 digit suffixes won't cause issue with
older spider versions

> 73 Ian
>
> On 28 May 2010 09:17, Brendan Minish <ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com> wrote:
>         On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 06:40 +0100, Ian Maude wrote:
>         > Sorry to bring this up again.  I have been running Dirks
>         altered code
>         > to allow 4 letter VK suffixes for several months.  I know
>         that you
>         > changed your mind on allowing them Dirk but as the world
>         does not
>         > appear to have ended I wonder if you would change your mind
>         and change
>         > it back?  Although the 4 letter suffixes are not formatted
>         in the way
>         > we would wish, they are perfectly valid callsigns issued by
>         authority.
>         > After the debates on allowing SWL's to use clusters I cannot
>         see why
>         > this change cannot be made.
>

>         There is now a SWL cluster, BUT it's isolated from the rest of
>         the
>         network.
>
>         > Until it is, I cannot upgrade as I have several users with
>         the 4
>         > letter suffix.
>

>         The risk remains of unintended consequences where spots from
>         these users
>         get passed onto nodes running other/older cluster software.
>         Indeed what do legacy versions of dxspider do about this
>         situation?
>
>         if vk1abcd gets truncated to vk1abc anywhere then we have a
>         real
>         problem.
>

>         --
>         73