[Dxspider-support] Dupe spots with freq multiplied per 10 and per 100

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Sun Feb 27 16:54:12 GMT 2011

On 26/02/11 21:06, Robert Chalmas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see the same on HB9IAC-8, so it seems to be a general problem.
>
> In addition to the questions about the origin of this problem (somebody
> testing a buggy software?), one additional question is:

Yes, although it isn't clear whom. It isn't K1TTT is being fed with this
stuff. It may be something to do with (feeds to) the internet spotting
services.

It appears likely that someone somewhere (in the EU) is using Windows
number handling routines is not coping well with decimal numbers using
'.' rather than ',' as the decimal point.

It is also true that AR-C has a rewritten version that has very recently
appeared in the wild and there may some problems with some/one of the EU
stations that use it. But it could easily be caused by yet another spot
sucker that someone has written.

> - why does DXSpider not filter out spots if the frequency is outside
> amateur bands ? 141360.0 or 1413600.0 are obviously not in any amateur
> bands so should be rejected.

This was a deliberate policy decision many years ago. One of the main
drivers for me to write it was the VHF/UHF community in the UK. They
felt that AK1A did not address their needs. One of which was the ability
to spot things like Russian VHF TV, FM radio etc to enable them to
monitor possible tropo / E openings.

I don't believe I have seen such spots for many years now, but they did
happen in the beginning.

BTW The problem seems to have subsided now (16h45 Sunday)

Dirk G1TLH