[Dxspider-support] R: Re: R: Re: Self Spotting

Luigi - IK5ZUK ik5zuk at tiscali.it
Mon Feb 28 22:14:16 GMT 2011

Hi all,

Dirk, about this discussion, please could you let us know your
opinion ?
Summarizing all the previous posts, there are three possible
choices:

1. leave the spider code as it is now (without any
selfspotter filter);
2. introduce a (un)set/selfspotter user command
(so that each user can switch on or off the filter);
3. introduce a
$main variable to filter out the selfspot (so that sysops can switch on
or off the filter on their node).

This topic was discussed some days
ago, but without your final intervention...

TIA,
73 de Luigi, ik5zuk

16.02
>A: "The DXSpider Support list"<dxspider-support at dxcluster.org>

>Ogg: Re: [Dxspider-support] R: Re: Self Spotting
>
>Not a bad idea but
maybe it also need to be switchable by band or at least only apply to
HF.  I would never turn it on if it was going to prevent self spotting
on VHF or up.

Chalmas wrote:

>> This is a very controversial topic which was
already discussed a few times on this list.

>> Obviously, there is
no chance we (and our users too) all agree on this.

>> On my side,
I really hate "self spots", "friend spots", "my club spots", and
similar. I've been modifying the code of DXSpider for many years
(starting 2003) to get rid of what I consider as a nuisance on my node
HB9IAC-8. Not a complex job, just 4 lines to add at the right place to
the /spider/perl/DXProtHandle.pm file (but to do again after each
upgrade), and all "self spots" disappear...not optimal, but the easiest
to do...

>> Several other sysops asked me for this "forbidden"
code, one of them being so discouraged that he was seriously thinking
about stopping his node if he could find no solution to this problem.

>> I strongly encourage Dirk to add a switch which would enable
each user to choose if he wants to receive "self spots" or not, with a
command like (un)set/selfspots. This seems me a reasonable compromise
which would for sure be ethically better then a full censorship decided
by the sysop alone.

>> 73's
>>
>> Robert - HB9BZA
>>
>> --

Robert CHALMAS, PO Box 1225, CH-1227 Carouge/GE, SWITZERLAND
Cluster client RXCLUS:  http://www.hb9bza.net/rxclus
users list:       http://www.hb9bza.net/lotw