[Dxspider-support] User Timeout?

Rene Olsen rene.chr.olsen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 18:37:28 BST 2011

Hi Steve.

You wrote this for Dirk, but I'll give my two cents worth of opinion.

The disconnects with telnet connections, is probably due to timeout parameters in many
routers for home use. In many routers this timeout, unfortunately can't even be changed by
the user. It is a hard coded setting. Quite a few routers has as low as 10 minutes without
traffic, and they break the connetion. Some routers even seem to have some kind of traffic
settings, which makes them think that a dx-cluster telnet connection is idle, even when there
is a few spots being exchanged now and then.

Recently I upgraded the firmware of my Zyxel router, but ended by having to downgrade to
the previous version, because they had made some change to the internal timeout settings.
Sometimes I could be connected to the dx-cluster for 20 minutes, other times 1 hour. With
the old firmware I can be connected for weeks.

I believe that the router manufacturers, does this kind of closing of what seems to be idle
connections, to limit the number af open connections, and NAT table entries. But maybe
someone can shed some more light on that.

The setting you have as "# the interval between unsolicited prompts if not traffic", is just the
time it takes before sending a propmt to the users, if there have been no other traffic. The
default I believe is 11 minutes.

Vy 73 de René / OZ1LQH