[Dxspider-support] Skimmers

Dave Hawes dave.n3rd at verizon.net
Sun Mar 20 22:17:22 GMT 2011

Wayne asked:

> With the RBN do we really need this on the regular cluster network?

I have been watching with interest the W3LPL spots.  It became apparent
quickly what Frank was up to, even before reading this email from him, since
his posts were 24-7, including non-contest periods.  If his claim on "100%
valid" is true, and if he turns down the volume as he intends, what's the
harm?

The RBN has to date been largely un-validated in my experience.  During a
contest weekend, the percentage of broken/busted spots was problematic,
enough so that the RBN team has developed some spot validation routines of
their own.  I tested the most recent incarnation of the RBN this weekend in
the Russian DX Contest, and in the 12 hours that I was active and chasing
spots from the RBN, I found not a single broken call.

Most users have access to the conventional cluster and the RBN, but most
loggers (contest and everyday) can't aggregate the two sources in a single
application.  (I say "most," but my experience is primarily with N1MM.
WinTest can do it, but it's a tedious setup.)  As Brendan noted, K1TTT's
WinTelnetX does a fine job of this, but it is not very user friendly, and folks
are put off by it.  I wrote a short "How To" for my local club describing the set
up for RBN + Cluster, hoping to help things along.

I personally have no objection to W3LPL's high quality, relatively low volume
automatic injection of CW spots into the network.

Just my opinion.

73 - Dave N3RD