[Dxspider-support] SWL cluster

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Mon May 2 11:02:59 BST 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 09:38 +0100, Ian Maude wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been thinking about this for a while and I have had several
> requests recently so I thought it was about time to bring up the
> subject again.
> I now have GB7MBC hosted and so I have the ability and bandwidth to
> run up a second copy of Spider and set it up as an isolated node for
> the task.
> So, the question is twofold (you can maybe think of more!)
>

> 1. What do the uses use as a 'callsign' ?

SWL type calls, based on DXCC calls, like/Similar to those issued by
various national societies

these almost invariably look like

ei1234
or
ra1-2345
etc

> 2. Could the existing callsign checking be perhaps overridden to
> enable first name logins? (Is this even a good idea?).  I would be
> using the usual registration system.

Then there's no DXCC info for the call to support appropriate filtering
etc, Seems to me that the big advantage that an SWL cluster offers it's
users over Summit etc IS the ability to set filters, Do path predictions
etc

> Thoughts please?
>

> 73 Ian
> --
> Ian J Maude, G0VGS
> SysOp GB7MBC & HB9DRV-9 DX Clusters
> Member RSGB, GQRP 9838, FISTS 14077 | K3 #455
> http://www.m0scg.org.uk

73
Brendan EI6IZ