[Dxspider-support] Fwd: Cluster filters

Mike McCarthy, W1NR lists at w1nr.net
Mon Feb 24 12:49:44 GMT 2014

One of my users asked the following...If anyone can answer him I will
forward it along.

Thanks, Mike, W1NR

Hi Mike,

I experienced some unexpected results trying to filter spots during last
weekend’s contest. The filter that I started with seemed to stop working
sometime Friday night and never did recover. I had set up:

1 accept call w1csm

2 reject not on hf

3 reject call_dxcc w,ve

I logged in as w1csm-1

When the filters stopped working I was seeing spots for stateside and
Canadian stations. I do not recall seeing non-hf spots, but I wasn’t
really spending a lot of time looking at the spots themselves.

Gil, N4ADC, and I ran a small M/M operation linked via VPN. I had his
filter set up similarly as:

1 accept call w1csm and not call_dxcc w,ve

2 accept on contesthf/cw

He logged in as w1csm-8

Gil experienced the same  thing I did, lots of W, VE calls.

I ran both of these filters for 3 or 4 days before the contest without
any difficulty.

I have been testing the following filter for use in ARRL SSB:
1 accept call w1csm

2 reject call_dxcc w,ve

2 accept on contesthf/ssb

3 accept freq 7020/72125 and not info rtty

This filter has been running all day today (Saturday) without any
problems, and there seems to be a couple of contests going on.

Am I setting these filters up correctly? The do seem to work. Are there
better implementations that would lessen the load on the cluster? Did
the cluster experience load problems last weekend? I do recall running
into similar issues during CQWW but wrote those off as cockpit problems
here. This time around I tried to pay more attention to what I was
doing. It really does help to not have the stateside clutter in the
Writelog packet spot and bandmap windows.