[Dxspider-support] Running on a Beaglebone Black

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Jan 7 13:12:35 GMT 2014

On 04/01/14 01:24, Jim Bayer wrote:
> Jose,
>
> So sorry I took this long to get this onto the list.  Here are the
> instructions for installing perl on a Beaglebne Black.   I use this perl
> to run a node in my basement.  I do not have this node on the internet.
> I also have a 16GB thumb drive attached to the Beagleboard Black so
> there is enough file system space to run DXSpider.  I have a soft link
> from spider on the the thumb drive to the root file system.  You will
> have to run CPAN to install the required perl modules but they will all
> install OK.

The problem with replacing the installed perl in the way that you
describe is that there is the danger that you also blow away any
installed (possibly system) stuff that is installed to use that perl.

The "official" (or at least recommended) way to have one's own perl is
to use perlbrew
(http://search.cpan.org/~gugod/App-perlbrew-0.67/lib/App/perlbrew.pm).
This creates a complete perl installation in your home directory and
arranges for this perl (rather than the system one) to be used.

It also makes the compilation (slightly) easier - if not any shorter.

Dirk G1TLH