[Dxspider-support] Adding ^mode^?

Michael G. Carper mike at wa9pie.net
Tue Jan 21 14:04:17 GMT 2014

Right.  I'm referring to mode.  Here's what's happening. and I don't think
it's unique to Ham Radio Deluxe (other loggers would have the same problem).

Currently, loggers look at the frequency of the spot and try to estimate
"mode".  This is done by looking up the spotted frequency in the "band
plan". then displaying a mode as determined by the frequency of the spot
with regards to the band plan.

For CW and phone, this works pretty well.  There's nothing but CW at 7.005
MHz. and you hear phone at 14.200.

But for digital modes, it's almost impossible to determine the mode from the
frequency.  We (hams) don't stick to the band plan very well, and there's a
pretty broad area where various digital modes are used.  Further, during a
CW contest (for example), the activity often spreads up into the digital
area of the band (above 7.035, let's say) and the matter gets worse.

So.

I noticed that VE7CC had extended CC11 to add five fields.  While DX Spider
has a 20 field CC11 string. CC Cluster has a 25 field string, with the 21st
one unused.

My proposal is to use the 21st field for mode.

The mode would be supplied by the user (just as call, frequency, time, date,
and comment; typically via software).  If the 21st field is blank (user does
not supply it), then that's fine. it can be ignored, as if the comment field
were blank.

That's my proposal.

Mike, WA9PIE