[Dxspider-support] Centos7 systemd init script and firewalld settings

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 11:44:45 BST 2014

Hello all

Centos7 linux has been released and my initial testing shows that
dxspider is easy to install on this platform.
When I have done a bit more work on the install process I'll add a
section to the dxspider wiki on installation on centos7

One big change between Centos 6 and Centos7 is that upstart has been
replaced by systemd, this changes how dxpsider can be run as a service

This is my initial attempt at creating a systemd service file for
dxspider. It probably applies to other distros using systemd also

Create a file called

dxspider.service in /etc/systemd/system/
with the following contents

[Unit]
Description= Dxspider DXCluster service
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=sysop
Group=sysop
ExecStart= /usr/bin/perl -w /spider/perl/cluster.pl
# Comment out line below for logging everything to /var/log/messages
StandardOutput=null
Restart=always

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Usage:

to start up dxspider
service dxspider start
to stop
service dxspider stop

to set up to start on boot
systemctl enable dxspider

The firewall, cnetos7 has moved to using firewalld to manage the
firewall settings, I am not sure how I feel about this! The old way can
be installed
#yum remove firewalld
#yum install iptables-service

systemctl enable iptables

Then you have the traditional iptables way of doing things

However if one wishes to use the 'new way' with firewalld

first create
/etc/firewalld/services/dxspider.xml

with the contents (change port number to suit your own needs)

<service>
  <short>SSH</short>
  <description>Dxspider dxcluster service on tcp port 7300</description>
  <port protocol="tcp" port="7300"/>
</service>

then issue the following commands as root

#firewall-cmd --reload
#firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=public --add-service=dxspider
#firewall-cmd --reload

--
73
Brendan EI6IZ