[Dxspider-support] Where have all the talk and announcement messages gone?

djk djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat Dec 12 22:34:14 GMT 2015

Is it just me or does no-one much bother announcing things or use talk
messages anymore? Come to that, what about bulletins and personal messages?

I ask because most of the (non-WPX) internode traffic is there to keep
track of who is connected to which node to facilitate stuff like talk
and personal message routing. We could get rid of all the "real-time"
add/delete user to node messages and, with minimum software changes on
my part, still get this stuff through in a timely and reasonably
efficient manner. It would noticeably reduce the inter node bandwidth
requirements.

Does anyone really care anymore as who is connected where? When was the
last time anyone a) did a sh/c and b) actually looked carefully at the
output?

Dirk G1TLH