[Dxspider-support] Where have all the talk and announcement messages gone?

Michael Carper mike at wa9pie.net
Mon Dec 14 00:48:12 GMT 2015

I can provide an answer to some of this...

That is... more recent logging programs (my own HRD and others) and cluster
connectivity tools (Band Master, VE7CC... and so on), have their entire
focus on delivering spots.  For some of these programs, there not even an
option for viewing/sending announcements... much less talk messages.

HRD does have a screen that folks can go to in order to see announcements,
WWV, and access the console.  But 99% of hams can't find it... half the
remaining 1% wouldn't know what to do with it if they found it.

Announcements is an important feature, in my opinion.  For the least of it,
it's nice to be able to communicate to folks connected to my cluster node
so I can tell them about service issues if they exist.

So I recorded a video and posted it on our YouTube channel to help folks
understand where to find and how to use these tools.  I've had over 1,600
views of this video and I've found that some clubs are using it.  (some of
it is specific to HRD, but it's useful regardless)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MenkUd1rDc

I'm calling for better ability to use these features within HRD and will do
my part.

Mike, WA9PIE