[Dxspider-support] Where have all the talk and announcement messages gone?

Martin Davies G0HDB g0hdb at amdavies.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 14 11:01:25 GMT 2015

On 12 Dec 2015 at 22:34, djk wrote:

> Is it just me or does no-one much bother announcing things or use talk
> messages anymore? Come to that, what about bulletins and personal messages?
>
> I ask because most of the (non-WPX) internode traffic is there to keep
> track of who is connected to which node to facilitate stuff like talk
> and personal message routing. We could get rid of all the "real-time"
> add/delete user to node messages and, with minimum software changes on
> my part, still get this stuff through in a timely and reasonably
> efficient manner. It would noticeably reduce the inter node bandwidth
> requirements.
>
> Does anyone really care anymore as who is connected where? When was the
> last time anyone a) did a sh/c and b) actually looked carefully at the
> output?
>
> Dirk G1TLH

I regularly (typically quite a few times a week) do a sh/co (and/or a sh/co/no), either for my
local GB7DXC-5 node or for another node, to see who's logged-on and where.  I've got 'sh/co
gb7dxc' included in my login scripts so that every time I log in I can see who's connected not
only to GB7DXC-5 but also to the legacy GB7DXC node.   It's a useful facility to have and I
would be disappointed if the information wasn't kept up-to-date in something like
near-real-time.

I also occasionally use talks to communicate with and have a chat with a user, most often on
GB7DXC-5 but sometimes with a user on another node.

I don't know how much use the local users on 'DXC-5 make of the talk and personal
messaging facilities but I suspect it's not much - I've just done a 'dir' from the sysop console
on 'DXC-5 and it's come back with 'No messages found'.  I've also done a 'sh/files bulletins'
and that's come back with 'bulletins not found'.  However both of those responses might be
because I haven't yet configured something on 'DXC-5...!!

--
73, Martin G0HDB

---