[Dxspider-support] Connection Closed by Foreign Host

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 16:24:35 GMT 2015

On 29/01/15 15:24, Dave Trainor wrote:
> Its actually not on port 23, my firewall rule is.  The box itself is
> listening on 27753 and I have a firewall port forwarding rule that listens
> on the assigned IP address and port forwards port 23 to 27753 on the
> actual box.    So its really not on port 23, this keeps the box safe as
> all other ports are not accessible.  I know this rule is working fine
> since I have many other users, its only this one.

Ok. However, that still leaves the telnet protocol problem, because any
telnet program that connects to port 23 will be expecting the node to
speak telnet protocol and, frankly, DXSpider doesn't. Port 23 isn't
simply the "well known port" for telnet, there is always some behind the
scenes chitchat that the user never sees. This *only* occurs when a
telnet program connects to port 23. If the same program connects to any
other port, it's just a straight through connection with no added protocol.

It is perfectly normal for all characters to be echoed for all logins.
It will not affect anything. Try connecting to gb7djk.dxcluster.net port
7300 with telnet to see what I mean. What is more relevant is which
telnet client is he using? Native windows telnet programs are
notoriously buggy, has he tried putty (or puttytel)?

Alternatively you could establish another listener on (say) port 7300 or
allow people to come in direct on port 27753 and see whether that has
any effect.