[Dxspider-support] Cloud hosting

Tobias Wellnitz tobias.wellnitz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 21:41:19 BST 2016

Hi Kelly,

I used for some time Amazon Webservices (AWS), but I found them rather
expensive.

Two years ago I moved all my servers to Netcup.eu. They have very
competitive prices, excellent performance but still with decent support
hotline.

My WebCluster, DXHeat.com (which uses DXSpider to communicate with other
nodes) is running on a VPS with 12GByte Ram, 4 CPU Cores, 240GByte SSD for
just 15€ / month.
They also have smaller and hence less expensive VPS. See:
https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php

Netcup recently sent me some 5€ discount codes. I hope they are still
valid. Feel free to try them.
36nc14704289306
36nc14704289309
36nc14704289305
36nc14704289308
36nc14704289307
36nc14704289300

To give you an idea of how to estimate your VPS:

DXHeat has on average 300 - 500 users connected simultaneously (only
through the Website - no Telnet).

The following services are running
- Nginx + Python Django (Serve Web Sites)
- Node.js (serve realtime push of DXSpots into the browsers)
- DXSpider
- Redis.io (NoSQL Database - mainly used for PubSub as the glue between all
the services)
- Elasticsearch (Callsign wildcard search)
- PostgresDB (Main Database with currently 33,7 Mio DX Spots)
- Celery (Asynchronous Jobs to update the callsign statistics in the
database)

typically consume
0.9 Average CPU Load (across the 4 cores)
6,5 Gyte Ram
74Gbyte Harddisk (mainly the databases)

I hope this helps.

73 Tobias