[Dxspider-support] An observation about adding Skimmer spots

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 20 23:10:45 BST 2016

Mike

I am curious where you are getting your Skimmer spots from.

At my node today I see about 30K skimmer spots per hour and about 600 human generated spots per hour. During really busy contests, such as the CQ WW CW, I have seen over 220,000 skimmer spots per hour. Most logging or contest programs have some difficulty handling over 200,000 spots per hour, even if the node can. Individual users try to handle this massive flood by setting filters so they only receive a small percentage of these spots. This still leaves the user with a huge number of duplicate spots. It is very helpful if the node can remove these duplicates. To do this the node needs to keep track of which spots each user has already received over the last few minutes. Since several percent of spots are either busted or unique, the node needs to find these and drop them as well. Most unique spots are actually busted, either in frequency or call, or are non cqers. Just a couple of things to look out for if you are planning on modifying Spider to handle skimmer spots.

Lee VE7CC