[Dxspider-support] An observation about adding Skimmer spots

Michael Carper, Ph.D. mike at wa9pie.net
Sun Aug 21 00:02:50 BST 2016

Lee,

Not to divulge my source... but one of the other members of this forum has
Skimmer spots on one of his nodes and I obtained them from there.

Overall... what I think you and I would easily agree about... is that the
balance of cluster spots have moved from user-generated spots to Skimmer
generated spots... just as spotting (in-general) have moved from RF packet
cluster nodes to Internet-based telnet sessions.

The point is... for better or worse... Skimmer spots are the future of DX
spotting for all modes (including voice... for which I'm sure someone is
working on that now).  Users don't create as many spots as they used to (in
my opinion).  This is largely because Skimmer sources either beat them to
it or have "dumbed-down" the user community to the point where they no
longer know how to create a spot (even if it's done by their software).
Heck, most of them have no idea where to find an announcement or WWV
posting.

So... the future of DX spotting is automated through something like a
Skimmer.

What I found quite surprising is that most of the users who saw these spots
on my cluster were completely confused by them.  They thought they were
"fake"... "deliberate QRM"... a bug in the software... a defect in the
cluster code... and for that reason, they began to complain.

It makes me think that - even though Skimmer spots and RBN (for CW, at
least) have been around for almost a decade, most folks are unaware that it
exists.

Puzzling.

Anyway... my cluster node was loafing with these Skimmer spots coming in.
 (Is there a RTTY contest this weekend?)

Mike, WA9PIE