[Dxspider-support] Telnet connection keep alive

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Nov 13 13:23:18 GMT 2016

The $user_interval is an "original feature" that is designed to make
sure that ax25 NETROM links don't time out on nil traffic after (IIRC)
12 minutes. It has the side benefit for telnet and other TCP/IP users
(using logging programs) in that one gets a standard command prompt
every (default) 11 minutes to show that the connection is still up -
just not very busy.

It is rarely seen these days :-)

Any traffic, in either direction, will delay the prompt, but is there is
no traffic for $user_interval seconds on your link, then it will send a
command prompt. Set/ping for nodes serves roughly the same purpose.

Dirk