[Dxspider-support] Telnet connection keep alive

Rene Olsen rene.chr.olsen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 21:54:02 GMT 2016

Hi.

Some home routers have settings that are not very friendly to low traffic connections.

Some of them have a timeout of just 5 minutes, and tears down the connection of there
hasn't been a noticeble amount of trafic on the connection.

Not even a CR and a prompt back from spider, is enough traffic to maintain the connection
open.

I have no idea why they do this. But since it is home routers, it is probably a question about
money and ressources in the router.

I had a linksys router once, and with the default firmware I wasn't able to change the timeout
setting, and it was just not able to maintain the connection to the cluser, when there was very
low number of spots.

After an update to some third party firmware, I was able to change the timeout setting, and
since then I didn't have any problems at all.

So in my opinion most diconnect issues, can be explained by the router in use.

And its not like the router tells both ends, that the connection has been closed. No, it just
removes it from the NAT table and thats it.

Of course there is good and bad routers out there. I can only talk from my own experiences
with home routers in the past.

Vy 73 de René / OZ1LQH