[Dxspider-support] User_interval back to 11mins after update to build 196

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Dec 19 16:45:55 GMT 2017

The ordering of the where the value  of the $user_interval is has
changed. This is to make a common structure for both the "master" and
"mojo" branches possible.

The normal way to change most parameters is to create a "startup"
script. You do this by editing /spider/scripts/startup and adding:

set/var $main::user_interval = 30*60

to the (bottom of) the file. The value for this parameter is in seconds.

The startup file may already exist and will (likely) be a copy of
startup.issue in the scripts directory. You can change any parameter in
the system to your taste in this file.

I'm afraid that I didn't pick this up when I changed it as I am pretty
sure that I have been asked about this before and I assumed that, as
most people don't bother this, and those that have changed it in the
past have been advised to use the startup script method. My apologies
for the inconvenience.

As an aside, the default is very carefully chosen but probably no longer
relevant as it is the maximum (simple) value to keep a BPQ node
connected user connected in the event of there being absolutely no
traffic on the link. Now, on a modern cluster node this happens so
rarely that it can only really occur if the user has chosen to filter
the output they get to the point where almost no traffic is received, If
that *is* the case then it would be much better to use the "set/startup"
command to set a user specific value.

Rather annoyingly, I see no help on "set/startup" or indeed
"show/startup". Something else to put on my list...

You can, for instance, do "set/startup startup" (or "show/startup
startup") from the command line if you are sysop. Anything you write
into the command line is stored until you type /EX on a new line.  You
can alter the 'user_default' script in the same way.

Dirk G1TLH