[Dxspider-support] Wiki

Ed autek at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 16:17:23 GMT 2017

On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 10:40:32 -0500
"Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists at w1nr.net> wrote:

> The CentOS instructions use "git" to pull the files into the spider
> directory rather than using a tarball. It's just another way to do it.
> You can use either method. You are also not locked into putting it
> into a folder under the sysop user. I put it in /var/spider instead
> and set the link to it. My install has /var as a separate partition.
> Under CentOS, /var is used to house other "server" related things
> like WEB, FTP and email.

Thanks, but I am familiar with git and as you say, either way works.
The rest of your comments are getting a little on the deep side for me.

> The other comment looks like the only difference being the '#' vs. '$'
> at the start of the line. You don't type those characters. They simply
> represent a "prompt" from the shell. It may be very different on your
> system.

I'm very familiar with the command line, believe me. My comment is
asking why are the instructions so different. What is done as root on
the wiki page is done as user on the Centos page. So which one is
correct, they both can't be. You can't do this on one page,

$ chown -R sysop.spider spider
$ find . -type d -exec chmod 2775 {} \;
$ find . -type f -exec chmod 775 {} \;

and this on the other

# chown -R sysop.spider spider
# find . -type d -exec chmod 2775 {} \;
# find . -type f -exec chmod 775 {} \;

and as far as I know $ this has always been user and this # has always
been root.

Am I missing something obvious here as to why one set of instructions
contradicts the other ?

Thanks

Ed W3NR