[Dxspider-support] Updating DXSpider using 'git pull'

Martin Davies G0HDB marting0hdb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 12:07:50 GMT 2017

Hello all, firstly a Happy New Year to everyone - let's hope we have an interesting 2017...!

My GB7DXC-5 node is hosted on a Raspberry Pi Model B+ (with Raspbian wheezy as the
O/S) and is currently running DXSpider v1.55 build 0.176.  I've just tried to update the system
to the most recent version of DXSpider (v1.57?) and have encountered some problems with
'git pull' that are beyond my limited knowledge and experience of Linux to resolve so I hope
someone here can help...

I'm logged in to the R-Pi as sysop and have just executed the following commands, which I
recall reading somewhere were the appropriate ones to use:

cd /spider
git reset --hard
git pull

The 'git reset --hard' command results in the following response:

"Unstaged changes after reset:
M   data/cty.dat
M   data/prefix_data.pl
M   data/wpxloc.raw"

Then, when I execute the 'git pull' command I get the following response:

"error:  Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge"
	data/cty.dat
	data/prefix_data.pl
	data/wpxloc.raw

Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
Aborting"

I assume that all of this happens because the versions of cty.dat, prefix_data.pl and
wpxloc.raw on my system are more recent than the versions that 'git pull' is trying to put onto
the system - I updated cty.dat etc a few days ago in response to the announcement about
CTY-2615 from Jim AD1C on 31st December.

I got round the 'Aborting' problem by deleting the three aforementioned files from my system,
after which the 'git pull' appeared to work correctly so I then updated the cty.dat and
wpxloc.raw files again, and generated the updated prefix_data.pl file, in the usual manner.

It seems to me that I need either to have the 'git pull' overwrite the existing files (after which
they'd need to be updated again) or ignore the three files and do the merge anyway - is there
a 'git pull' option for achieving this?  Perhaps someone who's more versed in using 'git pull'
than me can offer some suggestions.

More interestingly, after I'd successfully done the 'git pull' (and rebooted the system for good
measure) I found that the version of DXSpider running on the system was still v1.55 but it's
now build 0.185 instead of the previous 0.176.  I see that several of the nodes here in the UK
are running v1.57; why hasn't the 'git pull' updated my system to that version (and is there a
need for me to move to it)?

Many thanks in advance,

--
73, Martin G0HDB