[Dxspider-support] Updating DXSpider using 'git pull'

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 13:04:31 GMT 2017

Martin

I am slightly surprised by what happened using the standard git update
procedure.

The 'git reset --hard' should have removed (erm... "blown away") any
changes that you might have made to, for instance, cty.dat etc...

This certainly happens when I am using it.

The message that you describe suggests that you might have done the 'git
reset' without the '--hard'.

Please repeat your update, making sure that the '--hard' is added and
please report any problems. It is safe to do. You should also find that
the latest cty.dat is included, so you won't have to update it manually
this time.

On the subject of 1.57. This is an "experimental" version that is, in
fact, part of the git version that you pull. It can only be used with
the correct git incantation. But it is a fiddle to install correctly and
doesn't really give you anything you want - unless you have significant
numbers (probably more than 50, certainly more than 100) of users and
are running out of CPU resources servicing them. But there does seem to
be a problem, which may be perl version related, about doing a clean
install of the 'mojo' branch (as 1.57 is known), although I am working
on both aspects of this. Also, once done, it isn't easily changed back
to 1.55 - this will change too in due course.

The spur for the new 'mojo' branch was, in fact, the dumping of DXSpider
for something purpose written by the RBN Project, where DXSpider could
not keep up with the volume of spots being sent to the then 100's of
users. Since then the RBN spot feed has become more distributed and that
problem seems to have largely subsided anyway. But I am interested,
generally, in the possibilities of the software becoming better able to
handle more traffic and also presenting it in different forms. None this
will affect the "normal" node and - unless you are _*really*_ interested
in sort of thing - you should avoid 1.57 for the time being. But I am
hoping that, sometime this year (assuming we all still exist) I will be
presenting DXSpider 2, probably manifesting as 1.58.

Dirk