[Dxspider-support] dxspider on debian stretch

SP2L SP2L at sp2l.ampr.org
Tue Jul 4 11:05:50 BST 2017

Danny.

O.K. Here we go...

Generally I followed almost verbatim well known site:
http://wiki.dxcluster.org/index.php/Linux_Installation#Introduction

With one but probably major difference
which result from my experience with Perl.

I installed   cpamninus   package,
script to get, unpack, build and install modules from CPAN.

This way you do not need to searchfor particular version
of perl moduleascpanminus will do all of this for you
installing appropriate modules.

You may use Synaptic Package Manager or apt-get:

# apt-get install cpanminus

Next, invoke cpanminus by issuing from CLI: cpan

root at deb901:~# cpan
Terminal does not support AddHistory.

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v2.1101)
Enter 'h' for help.

cpan[1]>

Start installing one by one necessary modules by issuing belows commands:

cpan[1]> install Data::Dumper

cpan[2]> install Time::Date

cpan[3]> install IO
IO is up to date (1.36_01)
(above module beeninstalled with the system!)

cpan[4]> install Net::Telnet

cpan[5]> install Curses

cpan[6]> install Time::HiRes

cpan[7]> install Digest::SHA1

cpan[8]> Compress::Zlib

Additionally you may need to install git, make, gcc
if not done previously.

Now proceed further, following item: 2. Preparation

Next, carry out item: 3. Installing the software

# cd ~sysop
# ln -s ~sysop/spider /spider
# groupadd -g 251 spider (or another number)

At this stage I downloaded and installed  dxspider
from GIT repository, instead of downloading tarball
(described on  http://www.dxcluster.org/).

If you want to start from scratch, then it is much easier.
Login as the sysop user (see the Installation instructions):

git clone git://scm.dxcluster.org/scm/spider

cd /~spider/perl
cp DXVars.pm.issue DXVars.pm

Edit and change all necessary entries in DXVars.pm

You may need to copy this file to /spider/local directory.

The remainder is just easy-peasy job, Hi!

Simply follow verbatim items 4, 5 and 6
of Linux Installationmanual and you should be fine, Hi!

US State and City Database
(http://www.dxcluster.org/)

Some people like to filter on or generally just "know"
about which US State or City a callsign is in.
The latest software will now (as of the CVS version or 1.51) allow this.
There are also some commands to get this information displayed on a DX
Announcement.

In order to use this information then you must download usdbraw.gz
to a temporary place (I would suggest /tmp or c:\tmp).

After downloading (it is over 4Mb in length) you must:

run  /spider/perl/create_usdb.pl /tmp/usdbraw.gz
or wherever you have downloaded it to.
In a console window do:  load/usdb

Just in case I send directly to you my user_asc  file.

Best regards.
Tom - SP2L