[Dxspider-support] Out of Memory - Linux

Andy Cook, G4PIQ g4piq at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 16 11:47:34 CEST 2018

I’ve been running a node for contests (GB7DXM) where it receives a feed from the RBN network – so lots of spots over a period. It’s been running on small hardware, Raspberry Pi 3 and more recently an AWS t2.micro instance – both with only 1 GB of RAM. Currently running v 1.55 Build 0.197.

Once there are plenty of spots in the database (spots directory is currently 578 Mb – but the crash still happened when it was smaller), if you run a sh/dx on a call which is nowhere in the database, or a long way back, the cluster.pl process quickly consumes all free memory and after a few seconds the whole host freezes and needs a hard re-boot.

Now – I know I could (and will) just try this with more memory – but the full crash of the host is a bit nasty. Have I missed some memory management controls somewhere? Forgive my Linux skills – they are basic!

73,

Andy, G4PIQ