[Dxspider-support] Running DX Spider on a Raspberry PI 4 USB SSD Drive

Joe Reed joe at n9jr.com
Mon Dec 30 02:14:23 CET 2019

In anticipation of the failure of the Class 10 SD card that has been running my DX Cluster for a number of years I decided to bite the bullet and move from a Pi 2B to a Pi 4 B with 4 GB of Ram and use a USB 3 compatible SSD drive.  Wow, the Internet is filled with bad information.  I found some hits that had me change the fstab which made no sense.  And a number of other interesting posts which provided a great deal of entertainment and opportunities to reformat the SD.

Then I found this You Tube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rglzPdsvYg <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rglzPdsvYg>  OMG!  Copy the SD card to the SDD with unique partition IDs, execute blkid to get the partUUID for the SSD and edit /boot/cmdline.txt to change the root file system partUUID to that of the SSD.  So simple, so logical.

Posted as an informational reference.

Joe Reed
joe at n9jr.com